You may or may not know this, but the very first post on this blog was about Timberline Lodge. It’s kind of a short and sweet post, so I thought it deserved revisiting. It is very close to home and I visit often, but not often enough.
The second time I was here (I don’t remember the first time) It was a beautiful, clear, summer day in late August. Sitting on the patio we could see Mt Jefferson. The woman sitting at the table next to us said to her son, “I can’t believe a place this beautiful exists.”
Here are some random factoids.
- It is the location of one of my favorite moments
- The Pacific Crest trail passes by it and so it is often the resting spot of many weary backpackers.
- It was used for the exterior shots of the film, The Shining.
- FDR visited here
- It is one of the only places in the U.S.A that offers skiing in the Summer .
- It was built as a way to help dig us out of the Depression. Everything made here was hand-made by local artisans.
If you every visit Portland do yourself a favor and stay here. It is charming. And, quite possibly, the most beautiful place on earth on a clear day.
I visited here a last month with my Dad. Here are some pinhole photos.